Recipe from Newsletter- Kidney Bean Morsels

Missysmom

Here's a good looking recipe from a Newsletter I get. I just started feeding Missy kidney beans and she loves them so thought I might try this.

From Our Kitchen

ShihTzu Cooking

Kidney beans in healthy dog treats? It was new to me, but never wanting to miss an easy, healthy and quick ingredient with which to make tasty dog treats, I forged ahead. There was no need for hesitation, the beans work marvelously in these little baked kidney bean morsel dog treats.

Kidney beans make a wonderful addition to your dog treat pantry. Several nutrients make kidney beans an excellent choice in helping your dog maintain a healthy heart. They have been shown to be high in cholesterol lowering fiber, both soluble and insoluble. They also are a good source of folate, magnesium and protein. All of these things, plus other vitamins and minerals, all contribute to preventing heart disease.

Spelt flour is a fun alternative to the typical whole wheat flour. It is related to the wheat, and does contain gluten. So, our gluten free dogs will want to have their dog treat baker switch to 3/4 cup of brown rice flour and 1/4 cup of tapioca flour, or another gluten free flour of your choice.

So are the homemade dog treats that you make with spelt flour wheat free? Well, technically no. But don't let that stop you from trying a batch of these dog treats. Spelt flour is much better tolerated that whole wheat flour for many dogs who are wheat intolerant.

Kidney Bean Morsels

Ingredients:

1 - 15 oz can red kidney beans

3/4 cup chicken broth

2 eggs

2 Tablespoons unsweetenedapplesauce

1 cup spelt flour

1/2 cup ground flax

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 Tablespoon cinnmaon

Recommended Equipment:

Food Processor

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350° F

In a mesh strainer, empty the can of beans, rinse thoroughly and set aside to drain.

In a food processor, puree the beans, chicken broth, eggs and applesauce.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, flax, baking powder and cinnamon.

Pour the bean mixture into the dry ingredients.

Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Turn off oven, let the treats cool in the oven for about 2 hours.

Storing - These healthy dog treats should be kept in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Store them even longer in the freezer, up to 6 months. Be sure to read our tips on storing homemade dog treats for more information.

Yield - This recipe will make 4 dozen mini morsels, if you use a teaspoon sized cookie scoop.

Tips & Techniques

Light Red or Dark Red Beans? - There is little nutritional difference between the light and dark red kidney beans. Choose the ones that are readily available at your local store. Or, mix up these dog treats with white kidney beans, also called Cannellini beans.

Spelt Flour - If you can not find, or do not want to use spelt flour, you can substitute it on a 1 to 1 ratio with whole wheat flour.

Loving your dog is easy. So is making these heart healthy dog treats. Love your dogs heart and keep his heart as healthy as possible with good nutrition, daily exercise and delicious healthy homemade dog treat recipes.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Great receipe........my guys just got Kidney Beans added to their diet a couple of weeks ago and they love them.........thanks for the info on the spelt flour......will be trying that out as Sophie and Allie do not do well with wheat flour..........

• Like 2