Am I doing this all wrong?

Lisaloob8611

Hi everybody. I've decided to come on the forum for help as I don't know which way to turn. I have a 16 week old shihtzu called polly. I have had her since week 9. I am having trouble with her weeing in her crate over night. At first I thought she was dry as she had bedding etc in there then noticed it was dripping with urine. I have now removed all bedding as she does like to wee on soft ground including the hallway carpet but can't fault her as its only maybe once a day. Throughout the day she's brilliant will go outside and well prompted to if door is closed too, but I am struggling with it overnight. Is there anything I can do.? Should I still get up in the night? Any help is appreciated many thanks

image.jpeg

• Like 6
Crinkly

Hi and welcome!

At 16 weeks I think she is far too young to expect a consistently dry night.  Their little bladders and self control are simply not developed enough to hold for that length of time.  There is some idea that floats around that puppies can only hold their bladders for an hour for every month of their age, plus 2 hours.  That would give her 6 hours control, at maximum.  I have NO IDEA if that has any truth in it.  My two varied tremendously in their toilet training schedule, simply because of their different IQs and personalities, but I know we don't expect human babies to have over night bladder control for YEARS, so expecting it of a wee nibblet of a puppy Polly's age is a high expectation.

As an adult human I certainly can't hold my bladder all night.

I would suggest a couple of options - either give her a crate or pen over night that has a pee pad at one end and her bedding at the other, or wake up and take her out at 4 am.

We did the first suggestion with both our pups.  Hardly a disturbed night, and because I used washable re-useable pee pads, all I had to do was throw the dirty one in the washing machine the next morning, and let it dry during the day for the next use.  It was totally stress free.

There is another possibility that may be affecting Polly's behaviour.  I have no idea where you got her from, or the conditions of her background, so this is no comment on her personally, but when puppies have been bred in Puppy Farms they are usually brought into the world in wire cages with little or no bedding.  Pee and faeces are intended to drop through the wire.  Such a puppy has absolutely no experience of clean bedding and therefore has a slower start at learning not to pee in their bed.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh, and did I mention what an adorable little bundle of gorgeousness she it?  What a cutie pie.  I am feeling quite broody again. lol.

• Like 7
Jo-Anne

Hi and Welcome to chatter..

Polly is a little baby..you put dipers on a baby,  they can`t make it through the night yet at the age of 16 weeks. Polly is not a human baby so the dipers can be replaced by what Jo says..on one side of the crate..a pee pad..

I just got up..out of my bed..picked the little warm woolly bundle of love up..and took him outside..it may take a while..you need patience..babysteps..but they are gratefull..if you, his mommy teaches her how she must do that..now you will get great tips here I am sure at Chatter..so good luck Polly and Lisa.

• Like 5
Lisaloob8611

Thank you. It's only ever 1 wee she does so will get up around 5am and take her out for one. She has done so well already and have no complaints with her. Couldn't of wished for a better pup. I got her from a breeder, kc reg with paperwork crinkly. I'm glad I'm doing the right thing. I know she wouldn't be fully trained at this age just glad I know I'm doing it right ?

• Like 5
PipsMom

:welcomeani: Lisa and Polly. Oh my she's so pretty :dede:

You've been given excellent advise so I won't repeat. 

• Like 4
Jo-Anne

5 minutes ago, Lisaloob8611 said:

Thank you. It's only ever 1 wee she does so will get up around 5am and take her out for one. She has done so well already and have no complaints with her. Couldn't of wished for a better pup. ?

Well isn`t that good then :D of course you are doing a good job Lisa with your Polly..

and she is so pretty..love that picture..just want to cuddle her..:bear:

• Like 3
Missysmom

Welcome Lisa and Polly so glad you've joined us! What a precious little one Polly is, love her pic! :cloud9:

• Like 3
Lisaloob8611
4 hours ago, Jo-Anne said:

Well isn`t that good then :D of course you are doing a good job Lisa with your Polly..

and she is so pretty..love that picture..just want to cuddle her..:bear:

Aww thank you. ? Can't wait for this great adventure myself and children are going to have with her. She loves her walks too. 

image.jpeg

• Like 10
Marlene

Polly is adorable!

I just have one thing to add.........are you taking her out for a potty one last time when the last hooman bean goes to bed?  It can be a pain when everyone is all warm and sleepy to make that last trip out but it can buy you an extra hour or two in the wee hours (get it?  the "wee hours"? I crack myself up!)

• Like 7
Lisaloob8611

Wee hours ?? yes and she always goes twice sometimes. Think I will just need to cover that one time between 4/5am then we're sorted. ??

• Like 7
Sophie's Haven

Another suggestion is after 7 pm remove the water bowl.......and in her crate I would use potty pads if that is not an issue with you. Have you attempted to potty pad train her......she is pretty young usually pups stay with their Moms until 12 to 16 weeks old. Two of mine that I got as puppies were 14 weeks when I got them and they were quick to catch on. Polly is adorable and pretty soon she will be doing her business when and where she is suppose too.

On another note I have 7 Tzu and my Missy is going to be 14 this year and certain days gets lazy and decides that the area rug under the dinning room table is closer then walking into the bathroom to use the potty pad......I was using a Listerine solution to rid of odor but Clorox came out with a product called Clorox Urine Remove for stains and odors and it works great.......my rugs are black and cream and it did not remove any color but sure did remove the smell...........just follow directions and I have noticed that since I have cleaned the rug and put it back down it has been pee free for a week.......now that I said that I may have to eat my words........but it WORKS.

• Like 5
Jo-Anne
1 hour ago, Lisaloob8611 said:

Aww thank you. ? Can't wait for this great adventure myself and children are going to have with her. She loves her walks too. 

image.jpeg

Ahw  two little ones..such a cute picture..look at Polly following your daughters feet..they love to do that in the beginning...looks beautiful there!

• Like 5