Marking... So frustrated!

I need HELP my 9 month old shih tzu, Rigatoni HAS NOT STOPPED marking his territory. It's so bad that we have had to block off all carpeted areas of our condo. At the same time I cannot take him anywhere without him marking. We go to my parents house every Sunday (they have two dogs) and he pees all over the carpets in the kitchen it's a nightmare. Even when we take him to petsmart for training he peed 6 times! I'm so fed up and frustrated it makes me so upset. I'm 7 months pregnant and I can't be doing this any more.

i am begginggggggg anyone that has advice to help me. Nothing is working, and we haven't had him neutered yet, but I'm thinking at this point it won't even work.

• Like 5
PipsMom

Belly band....he needs to be banded then. You can buy them from the pet shops online or make your own,....some here use them for that very purpose 

Example

https://www.amazon.com/HTKJ-Washable-Reusable-Durable-Diapers/dp/B01HI8IJ54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476654036&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+belly+bands+for+male+dogs

• Like 7
Marlene

Next step at the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI or a problem with the bladder/uretha connection.  Sounds pretty "over the top" for a healthy puppy.

Is he lifting his leg or just peeing/dribbling as he goes about the room, people and dogs?

• Like 7
Pawz4me

Marking is normally a quick blast of pee. Not dribbles, unless he's already peed (or marked several times) and only has enough left for dribbles.

He definitely needs a vet check ASAP.

If that's okay, then definitely use belly bands.

How have you been cleaning up after him? Hopefully you're using an enzymatic stain/odor remover like Nature's Miracle? Dousing the soiled areas thoroughly and letting them air dry slowly?

Also, tell us about your house training routine. Are you using pee pads exclusively?

When he's at Petsmart how do you attempt to deal with his marking?

• Like 7
Marlene

I had a beautiful reverse brindle Boxer female foster puppy - Gingersnap.  She was VERY good about going outside to potty (I got her at 8 weeks) but she was also dribbling constantly.  When she felt the urge to pee - she was assuming the position of a squat and doing her thing.  The dribbling just happened as if she didn't know it while walking around, eating, going for a walk.  It turned out she had an one etopic ureter - not properly connected to the bladder.

• Like 8
Jo-Anne
11 hours ago, Gigi1017 said:

I need HELP my 9 month old shih tzu, Rigatoni HAS NOT STOPPED marking his territory. it's a nightmare..I'm so fed up and frustrated it makes me so upset. I'm 7 months pregnant and I can't be doing this any more.

i am begginggggggg anyone that has advice to help me. Nothing is working, and we haven't had him neutered yet, but I'm thinking at this point it won't even work.

Its been said..first off all have Rigatoni checked with your vet!

That you are upset about this is understandble, but don`t be to hard on him. You see..us grown ups look at this marking quite different then our paws.. if you have the time maybe you can look into this..and  learn more about this behavior..

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Marking.php

• Like 6
PipsMom

Pip is older (3) and intact. He does the majority of his marking on the outside territory in the garden.....I have two puppy pad stations...one upstairs, one down.....he will mark indoors on the pad if the door shut to the outside and only on them...I've been lucky he doesn't dribble on anything else.

But.....about a year and half ago when we left him the first time he stayed at my brother in laws and he was very very upset. They also  got a neutered  Shih Tzu......He marked their house and claimed it as his own territory...even marked my niece foot as His......really embarrassing. Totally out of character and raising but he showed his butt till we come home....Intact males once their hormones come in really like to spread their scent ...dibble on every light post and every speck. Hate it he is acting out of character for you.

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

My Bailey is a marker and has been most of his life.......he is 7years old.  He tends to mark on objects that have been set down where they don't belong, like shoes, grocery bags, laundry and if I move furniture to a different spot........he wears belly bands as I got tired of following him around. He potties outside but regardless will come in the house and dribble and will continue even if he has nothing left to make his mark. I have two females that mark but thankfully they do it outside or on the potty pad in the house...........some dogs are just prone to mark.....anytime I have dealt with a UTI they will be peeing or trying to pee  every few minutes and not just at random.........but to make sure your not dealing with anything medical check with your vet. Belly bands are easy to make and in the long run a lot cheaper then buying them.  Of all the store bought urine removal products that I have tried over the years with no luck I now use Clorox urine remover (got at Walmart) that works great........

• Like 5
Sunlite

Bellybands are wonderful to help keep a male from marking or having accidents. I love the ones from here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/maureendoberman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Decker has a wonderful assortment from her and the more I wash these the softer they are. I use a Poise pad to line them, number 4, and it's great. No more frustration.

• Like 6
Summerangel

Last year we took our paws on holiday, this was their first holiday, they were just over 1 year old. As soon as we got in the cabin Donte had a sniff about and then peed on the carpet. I couldn't believe it!!! Since a puppy he had been asking to go out. I put it down to him having an accident. 

Then this year when we was on holiday he did the exact same thing... marked on the carpet... so out came the carpet cleaner and I cleaned it up... This time I wondered if he was marking.... after reading the article Jo-Anne, I'm sure he was. I'm looking in to getting some belly bands for him when we go away again. 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
minabey
On 10/17/2016 at 9:27 PM, Sophie's Haven said:

My Bailey is a marker and has been most of his life.......he is 7years old.  He tends to mark on objects that have been set down where they don't belong, like shoes, grocery bags, laundry...

I LOL'd. This is so like Monkey. The only time he peed on our bed was because I placed my laptop bag on it after I came back from staying with my cousins overnight. He peed on the bag (with the laptop still inside) and it dribbled on the pillow. Another time, my in-laws were going on a trip and they left a duffel bag with their stuff unattended and Monkey marked it. Good thing it was waterproof and we were able to clean it up pronto. There were just waiting for their ride. 

The positive side to this is we've become vigilant about leaving things "for later" and storing stuff where they belong ASAP or risk Monkey's blessing. He is intact.

• Like 6
Sophie's Haven

@minabey funny how they have us trained.......I love to rearrange my furniture and I would catch Bailey go around and mark each piece of furniture that was moved........thank goodness for the belly band.........I had a boss that his cat would do the same thing........he would come home from work and take off his shoes when he walked in the door and would come back and put them back on to go out and find he had a wet sock........the cat also blessed the grocery bags and the laundry piles but the cat only started doing this as he got older........I don't think it matters if they have been fixed or if they are intact as Bailey is fixed.......and so was this cat.

• Like 6

I don't have a male but my sister has a male chihuahua and she uses the belly band like others have recommended. She really likes it. Best wishes as I'm sure with being pregnant makes this even more frustrating.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Thanks all! After a vet visit, Rigatoni was fine, just being a male. The belly bands didn't seem to affect him at all and he actually peed through them and then tried to mark in the house.

None-the-less, we did have him neutered and it has completely 100% resolved the issue. So thankful. Baby on the way in 7 weeks! lol 

• Like 6
Crinkly

Brilliant news!  So glad for you AND Rigatoni.

The constant need to mark is a lot of pressure on a lad!  Much more comfortable to have all that responsibility taken away.

• Like 4
Summerangel

Excellent news. One less thing to worry about now. 

All the best for baby ? 

• Like 2